Thursday, February 16, 2012

How long after a breakup must you wait?

Is there a certain resting period required after a relationship ends? Are we like microwaved food, dough, or wet paint? I think not. If your man gives you the heave-ho, you're free to go, Sugartoe. The minute you receive that icy message--"I think we should see other people"--consider yourself released and free to entertain other options.

Men have foolish pride, so it rarely works out that way. Clyde gives Bonnie back the keys to her vulva hoping she doesn't hand them to Mr. Next too soon. That's nonsense. If Clyde can't commit, she can and should begin healing immediately, and if such healing requires the touch of another man (or woman), it's her right to solicit such.

Ah, but friends complicate matters further. One day after Clyde tells his buddy, Jackson, that he's cut bait, Jackson runs into Bonnie looking better than ever with a new suitor in tow. Jackson fancies himself a New Age Columbo, as he fires up the photo app and sends incriminating (?) photos to Clyde.

"Check it out, dude: Bonnie is already with another guy."
"That fucking whore!"
"I know. Man, I'm sorry. She's heartless."
"I bet she was banging that guy all along. That's why we were having so many issues."
"No doubt. But, wait, you broke up with her, right?"
"Yes, I did, but you don't see me out poking some new skank. I'm home alone healing."
"You want me to go confront her?"
"No. I'm coming over."
"Cool. I got your back, bro."

It's senseless. All logic has been purged from men who think this way. Who's to say the new guy isn't her friend, for example. I play the role of healer often. I get to play pool and provide emotional support and encouragement. I don't get to play hide the pepperoni. The last thing I need is for her ape-ish ex to attack me for dressing the wounds he inflicted.

Men, when you relinquish your woman, you relinquish your right to control her or be jealous of what she does and how long she waits to do it.

1 comment:

  1. I always think a rebound relationship is a good idea...but it must be brief. Just brief enough for you to get your mojo back. Then, leave and do the emotional work you need to do to really get over the breakup.

    Http://www.TheSpinsterliciousLife.com

    ReplyDelete