Still, I was curious so ...
I did not meet with a matchmaker yesterday. She also didn't do a silly thing like ask a writer not to write about the meeting that didn't happen. She was cute (in my imagination) as she poked and prodded the defective merchandise (me) to see what his problem is.
Here are some typical questions that matchmakers ask (or, so I've heard) and answers that I might have given, if I were asked:
- Why love now? Why not? Who doesn't love love? I could use more affection and sex and less manual labor, if you know what I mean. Still, I'm selfishly unwilling to change much about my lifestyle to accommodate a love monkey, just as I wouldn't expect her to.
- Tell me about your most recent relationship and how it ended. We met in a bar, went on a few dates, and had almost-sex. Then the crazy texts, voice-mails, and emails ensued and I ran away like bear with his butt on fire. Now, I need to keep my head on a swivel when I'm looking for my next target so I'm not ambushed by yet another psycho ex.
- Where are you meeting most of the women you date? In a bar and, before you start lecturing me, I like bars. I'm not an alcoholic (denial is the first sign), but I find social lubrication a valuable resource to pull me from my shell and inspire my musings.
- Are you free of all baggage and ready for a serious relationship? Yes, I have no offspring, diseases, or jobs that require me to hop around the globe. I have two felines that are non-negotiable--all they do is sleep, eat, and shit anyway.
- What type of woman are you attracted to? The naked type. Ah, I kid. I am attracted to fit, intelligent, kind women. A sense of humor is absolutely necessary. There are obviously different degrees of each of these traits, which can offset or enhance others. For example, a funny woman who has a few extra pounds on her goes well with the few extra pounds I carry during the winter months. I'm not interested in having a woman with exposed ribs raise an eyebrow at my Pizookie* while she nibbles kale.
*Pizookie: It's only the best fucking thing since peanut butter met chocolate. It's a pizza cookie! You're drooling right now, aren't you? I know! It comes in a mini metal pan and a variety of cookie types from macadamia to chocolate chunk, it's warm, and it's topped with a scoop of ice cream. Go to BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse and try one. You're welcome, fellow chubster.